With a change in season we see new trends emerge in the beauty world. We caught up with prominent hair and makeup artist Victoria Martin behind-the-scenes of our Winter 15 campaign shoot. Victoria shares with us her inspiration behind Philippa’s look, key makeup trends for Winter and how you too can incorporate simple tricks of the trade into your everyday beauty regime.
What was your hair & makeup inspiration for Wittner’s ‘Step into Winter’ campaign?
The look for the campaign was crisp, modern and elegant to reflect the textures and finishes of the shoes. I was inspired by the over-the-knee boots and the loafers, they reminded me of that effortless luxury that Parisian girls have in spades.
Our inspiration for the campaign was:
Hair: sleek middle part with some texture through the mid lengths and ends allowing the hair to develop naturally throughout the day.
Makeup: we wanted to create depth by colouring a soft smokey eye paired with a hint of peach nude lip colour and groomed brows. It’s a beautiful look for winter and easily worn.
What are the key hair and makeup trends this season?
This season’s hair and makeup trends continue to highlight an effortless, natural and complete feel.
Hair: The main trend I’ve noticed is hair accessories. From New York, London to Paris I have seen all kinds of ribbons and barrettes adorning the hair. Variations on ponytails are still going to be popular and it’s a trend that translates easily from runway to reality.
Makeup: It’s all about glowing, clean skin and gently accentuated features, which is the total antithesis to heavily made up Hollywood celebrities such as Kim K, Beyoncé, Jessie J etc. I’m predicting a slight change in eyebrow style, a couple of runway shows emphasised a thin pencilled brow reminiscent of an early 90s Kate Moss and Greta Garbo. We’ll wait to see if this catches on!
Five easy steps for re-creating Philippa’s look?
- The perfect base. I used Ellis Faas Skin Veil to provide good coverage but also allow Philippa’s natural skin and luminosity to show through. Followed by a gentle dusting of Ellis Faas Glow Up to highlight and reflect.
- The defined brow. The brows are quite defined in this look so shape and fill to suit your own look. I used Anastasia Beverley Hills Brow Wiz in Medium Brown.
- The smokey eye. First apply a black cream eyeshadow to the lid, something like Ellis Faas Creamy Eyes in E103 and with a clean fluffy brush, use a windscreen wiper motion and stop just past the crease.
- Cleaning up the look. Next use a softer taupe or grey shadow such as E107 to graduate the smokiness further to clean up the edges. Make sure you also apply this softly around the lower lash line for balance.
- The classic mascara. Finish with several layers of mascara. You can use black eyeliner to line the waterline for a really intense finish.
- The lip. To complete the look, apply a soft nude peach lip colour, we used Ellis Faas Milky Lips L207.
How did you become a makeup artist?
I never imagined I would be a makeup artist. I completed an academic degree in Anthropology and Geography in London. I then found myself working as a private chef in St Tropez. During my time in St Tropez, I came across a girl who had completed a course in makeup. It was as if I reached a light bulb moment and I haven’t looked back!
Tell us your 5 hair & beauty must-haves?
- Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentre is a best-kept secret for many top makeup artists. It is used backstage on fashion runways around the world. It’s a beautiful rich moisturiser that imparts a wonderful glow to the skin, smoothens the texture and preps for perfect makeup. It instantly absorbs, leaving you hydrated and never greasy. Once a week I use it as an intensive mask by applying a thick layer to my face before bed, when I wake up in the morning my skin feels amazing.
- Ellis Faas Concealer is light but with really great coverage that blends into skin seamlessly. I use it under the eyes and for little blemishes. It’s great to have in your handbag for touch-ups throughout the day.
- Anastasia Beverley Hills Brow Wiz is a slimline mechanical pencil for a groomed and defined brow. I love it because of the softness of the pencil and because it’s smudgeproof.
- Kevin Murphys SESSION.SPRAY is my favourite hairspray for everyday use and for working on set. It gives a strong yet weightless hold without feeling sticky or crunchy and never leaves flaky residue for times where I may need to brush out the hair or change a style.
- Kevin Murphy FRESH.HAIR is a total must-have for me personally as well as in my kit. Having bleached blonde hair means I need to try and extend the amount of time between washes so Fresh.Hair is my saviour. It’s a dry shampoo that also gives body and texture and absorbs excess oil.